Ho Chi Minh City (ever called Saigon) is the biggest center of economy, politics and culture in the South of Vietnam. Besides, it is also known as a famous tourism center with numerous interesting destinations. Dubbed “Pearl of the Far East”, this city attracts millions of visitors each year with many historical, cultural sites as well as gorgeous landscapes. If you haven’t set foot on here yet, do read this article to know where you ought to visit in Ho Chi Minh City.
1. Saigon Central Post OfficeSaigon Central Post Office is one of the typical architectural structures of Ho Chi Minh City, located in the central area of 1st District.
Saigon Central Post Office - one of the typical architectural structures of Ho Chi Minh City
Most of the tourists coming to Ho Chi Minh City can’t miss this special post office. They arrive to admire the unique architecture of this building or relax in the vast space after having a tour around the city.
2. Saigon Notre-dame BasilicaExperiencing over 100 years and going through 3 centuries, Saigon Notre-dame Basilica has been still magnificent and grave. It is regarded as a masterpiece of Saigon urban architecture. This is a unique Catholic cathedral with the largest scale in Vietnam.
|Saigon Notre-dame Basilica - a masterpiece of Saigon urban architecture|
3. Ben Thanh MarketThis is the oldest and most modern market of Ho Chi Minh City. With the ancient architecture, Ben Thanh Market has been a favorite destination of both locals and tourists.
|Ben Thanh Market - The witness of history in Ho Chi Minh City|
It is rare for travelers to find out a unique market like Ben Thanh in other places of the country. It draws tourists of many nationalities and skin colors. Through the gate, you will see a totally different world: noisy and bustling.
4. The Opera HouseThe Opera House is built in the style of Gothic architecture (popular in France in the early 19th century). The outstanding feature is the combination between architecture and sculpture. Bas-reliefs and decorative patterns which are finely carved can be found both inside and outside this building.
|The Opera House with unique architectural features|
5. Independence Palace (Reunification Palace)
After April 30th, 1975 (the Southern Liberation Day), Independence Palace becomes one of the most famous historical sites of Ho Chi Minh City in particular and of the country in general. The image of the flying flag on the roof of the palace has been symbolic of the victory of Vietnam in fighting against invaders.
|Independence Palace - a special historical museum of Ho Chi Minh City|
In terms of the number of visitors, Independence Palace is not inferior to other historical museums in Ho Chi Minh City. That’s enough for you to understand its importance and values in people’ eyes.