Located on the left bank of Mekong River, Vientiane is known as the capital city of the country of a million elephants. Famous landscapes in this city broaden the appeal of Laos - cultural tourism. There are so many places in Vientiane stealing your heart, for example, antique, unique and sacred temples. Now let's have a tour around the capital of Laos with 7 favorite destinations below.
Other guides :
1. That LuangThis famous Buddhist stupa is the national symbol printed in the paper money and national emblem of Laos. It was built in 1566 under the reign of King Setthathirath. This stupa is in the shape of a gourd of wine and gold-plated outside. According to the legend, inside the stupa is the relics of the Buddha (a hairpiece and a lot of treasures). That Luang consists of a major tower with the height of 45m and surrounding gilded towers.
|That Luang - the honorable Buddhist stupa of Laos.|
2. Patuxay (Gate of Triumph)Outstanding in the avenue Lane Xang is Patuxay (previously called Anou Savary). Patuxay was constructed in 1958, the below and the outer part is modeled after Arc de Triumphe in Paris while the remaining parts bring Lao architectural traits. Standing on the highest floor of Patuxay, we can have the entire view of Vientiane.
|Tourists are captivated by the unique architecture of Patuxay|
3. Xieng Khuan (Buddha Park)Xieng Khuan is situated 25km southeast from Vientiane, being a sculpture park. There are more than 200 Buddhist and Hindu statues made of concrete in here. The most impress statue is the giant Buddha with the length of 40m. Besides, the park also has numerous statues with the image of humans, animals, gods and demons.
|Xieng Khuan - Home to numerous valuable sculptures|
4. Wat Phra KeoIn Vientiane, Wat Phra Keo is the temple ranking second for fame and importance (just behind That Luang). Visiting this temple, we seem to get lost "the artistic world" with sculptures, carvings and rare artifacts. All are gold, silver or alabaster-plated with vivid colors.
|Wat Phra Keo - The artistic world of sculptures, carvings and rare artifacts|
5. Talat SaoLying in the central area of Vientiane, this market opens from 7:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. This is a renowned tourist attraction and shopping area of Laos. In the market, there are a variety of stores, restaurants, counters of jewelry, silk, crafts, music instruments, electronics, house wares...
|Talat Sao - The famous shopping area in Vientiane|
6. Wat Si SaketBuilt in 1818 by King Chao Anou, this temple is located in Setthathirath Street, Vientiane. Wat Si Saket gives you a strong impression with Siamese Buddhist architecture.
|Siamese Buddhist architecture of Wat Si Saket makes visitors impressed|
7. Wat Ong TheuLying in the same street as Wat Si Saket, Wat Ong Theu draws visitors' eyes by the biggest bronze Buddha in Vientiane.
|Wat Ong Theu -The temple having the biggest bronze Buddha in Vientiane|
You can see the photos of Vientiane - the beautiful capital of Laos. But images are probably not enough to talk to you about a Vientiane full of peace. If you have chances, don't hesitate to visit here and set foot on above places. I'm sure that you won't regret about your choice.